Model Steam Engine

It’s taken almost 12 months to finish, but I’ve just completed my first somewhat complicated project on the lathe my dad gave me for christmas last year – A small wobbler style steam engine, based on the plans at http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/steammodels/simpleoscil/simpleoscil.htm

The completed engine

The engine is built from aluminium for most part, with brass for some bits like the crank bearing, and the piston. This was mainly because aluminium is a lot cheaper than brass, and i figured I would make a few mistakes.

The flywheel was the only part I didn’t make completely from scratch. I believe it originated from a cassette deck I disassembled at some point in the past. It was the perfect size, so I decided to use that, instead of trying to find the materials to make one from scratch.

Firing it up for the first time was great. Seeing something that I made spin under its own power is a great feeling!

I haven’t extensively documented the creation of the engine, but I’ll show off some of the construction in the pictures below. I really need to get into the swing of documenting these things, so I can make more detailed construction blogs.

During the construction, I had a few issues, like breaking numerous drills and taps in the engine’s cylinder while fitting the cylinder head. I attribute these to poor experience on my behalf, and some of the drills I tried to use just happened to be super poor quality I’m afraid. That’s all OK though. This is a learning process!

In the end, while this engine isn’t the prettiest engine out there, it filled the goal I set out which was to build a functional working engine. I’m already working on my next engine, based on a modified version of the same plans. I do plan on spending a little effort on the next one finishing it a little more nicely, now I know I can pull off building a little steam engine from scratch.

Well, that’s it for now. I hope you enjoyed the blog.

Cheers.