It’s taken almost 12 months to finish, but I’ve just completed my first somewhat complicated project on the lathe my dad gave me for christmas last year – A small wobbler style steam engine, based on the plans at http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/steammodels/simpleoscil/simpleoscil.htm
The engine is built from aluminium for most part, with brass for some bits like the crank bearing, and the piston. This was mainly because aluminium is a lot cheaper than brass, and i figured I would make a few mistakes.
The flywheel was the only part I didn’t make completely from scratch. I believe it originated from a cassette deck I disassembled at some point in the past. It was the perfect size, so I decided to use that, instead of trying to find the materials to make one from scratch.
Firing it up for the first time was great. Seeing something that I made spin under its own power is a great feeling!
I haven’t extensively documented the creation of the engine, but I’ll show off some of the construction in the pictures below. I really need to get into the swing of documenting these things, so I can make more detailed construction blogs.
During the construction, I had a few issues, like breaking numerous drills and taps in the engine’s cylinder while fitting the cylinder head. I attribute these to poor experience on my behalf, and some of the drills I tried to use just happened to be super poor quality I’m afraid. That’s all OK though. This is a learning process!
In the end, while this engine isn’t the prettiest engine out there, it filled the goal I set out which was to build a functional working engine. I’m already working on my next engine, based on a modified version of the same plans. I do plan on spending a little effort on the next one finishing it a little more nicely, now I know I can pull off building a little steam engine from scratch.
Well, that’s it for now. I hope you enjoyed the blog.