My original Meccano type arm has been one of the more popular posts on my blog, view wise, However, it was never really a finished project. It being christmas and everything, i’ve got some spare time due to holidays, so i’ve re-visited the robot arm.
The arm is far from finished, but there has been enough change that people might be interested in seeing the progress. Unfortunatly, this won’t be a complete step by step project, as i haven’t been documenting it as i went along. I’m still getting my head around the whole photograph every step thing.
Originally, the plan was to use a belt and pully system to drive the pan of the arm, but the rubberbands i had proved to be a bit too springy for my liking, and the speed, even with the tiny pully on the motor, and the rather large pully on the axis, was a bit too fast.
It would have been great not to have to buy gears to drive the pan axis. My friction fit on the big gear is far from purfect. if needed, i might have to screw the gear to a meccano disk i have that can be secured to a shaft via a worm screw.
I wish I had more proper Meccano, a heap more, and the good stuff, not the plastic junk they seem to sell these days. maybe next time I’m at my parents place, I’ll think about “borrowing” the box of it they have there.
Well, I might leave it here for now.
Once again, i hope you found this interesting.
Come back again soon.