In this part, we finish off the camcorder light. When I left you, i had just finished the top part of the light.
Now we need to wire up the battery pack and everything, then we are done.
In order to attach the battery pack to camcorder, I chose to use the tripod bracket. i did think of making a sholder mount bag, but that adds bulk and akwardness of use.
First off, I drilled a hole thru the case and its lid. It is off center, to allow room for the battery pack.
The above photo shows the case with the battery pack sitting in position. The hole is already drilled in the photo, but this is how I worked out where to drill the hole. once i had that hole drilled, i put the lid on, and drilled thru the hole, then into the lid. It worked a charm, and the holes line up purfectly.
I found some threaded rod i had for another (incomplete) project was the right size and thread for the tripod mount (I *think* it was 1/4 inch threaded rod), so i cut a length sufficient to fit thru the housing box, with enough thread either side to allow for some nuts on one side, and the camcorder on the other. I actually cut my first piece slightly too short, and had to cut a slightly longer piece.
Hot glue was used around the threaded rod on the inside of the box, to hold it in. I was going to use nuts, butquickly realised that they weren’t going to fit.
Now all the hardware is done, its time to wire it all up. The battery pack out of the torch was cylindrical, I think about the size of a C battery. I soldered straight onto the contacts on each end.
For the switch, i had to bend the terminals at right angles, to make enough room for it to fit in the box, and then in only just fit.
It is a very simple circuit, with just the switch, battery, light, and wires hooking the all together. I was contemplating drawing a circuit diagram, but its so simple, i figured i could skip it
For now, the light is hard wired to the power pack. I think it should do the job for the amount of time It’ll probably get used, but if I find the leangth restricting, I might re-think, or extend the power lead.
Below i have a quick test video I made with my camcorder. As you can see, the light has a rather bad bright spot, and isn’t uber bright, but it didn’t cost too much, and i’ll experiment with some diffusion options and see how well diffusing the light works
So thats it for another episode. I hope its inspired people. Catch you later.